SCIENCE & RESEARCH
multidisciplinary science plan
The Five Deeps is as much about Science as it is extreme exploration. One cannot hope to understand the ocean without understanding as much of it as possible. Until one understands the ocean, one cannot hope to protect and nurture it.
The Five Deeps Expedition’s scientific program is led by renowned chief scientist Dr. Alan Jamieson, University of Newcastle, and will bring forth findings from never-before-explored depths to the global academic, oceanographic and environmental communities. The expedition provides the unprecedented opportunity to sample life across a gradient of depths, temperatures, salinity, food supply, latitude and in places around the world that were formed, split, or united millions of years ago by the shifting of the Earth’s tectonic plates.
- Find deep-sea features and habitats using high-resolution multibeam sonar
- Learn what lives in those habitats using direct visitation by landers (Flere, Skaff and Closp) and submersible (Limiting Factor)
- Discover how organisms survive in Hadal zones using the Pressure Drop’s onboard wet lab
- Determine organisms’ role in each given ecosystem
- Connect the Five Deeps through genetic differentiation of species found on the dives
- Determine which “rules” the organisms follow including features, behaviors or characteristics of a species that are shared globally